Saturday, March 31, 2012

Going to China!

I have always wanted to go on a mission trip to Romania. When I was little girl I saw a news story that showed these babies lined up in cribs with few workers to take care of them. They looked so sad and helpless, and I knew that if I could just go over and love on them they would be okay, well that was my dream as a girl. Now that I am grown, I still have not let go of that desire to do something to help the orphans. This past summer some of the people in our Sunday School class got to go over to Romania, when they came back they were glowing with excitement about all they had done and experienced. I really felt God calling me to serve. Both boys were finally in school and financially we would be able to handle sending me on this trip. January rolled around and our church was holding a meeting to discuss all the mission trips they had planned for the year. As they were going over each trip I just could not find one that fit with my desire to serve and my talents and skills I had to offer. I came home from the meeting a little disappointed. That same week my mom had loaned me a book called Choosing to see. It was a book by Mary Beth Chapman. It was a story of the loss of one of her daughters, who they had adopted from China. Near the end of the book she mentions her website where they offer help to those desiring to adopt. I had no desire to adopt, but was interested in what it was all about. I logged on and the first thing I noticed was that they had opportunities for you to go on a short term mission trip to a special needs orphanage in China. I quickly studied as much of the site as I could and really felt this was where God was calling me to go. I signed up that night to be a sponsor. The trip dates were not until August 31-September 9th, but the deadline for applications  was in a month. I gathered as much information as I could and also had to get 2 letters of recommendation sent in quickly. I must have gotten some glowing recommendations, because I found out March14th that I got a spot on the trip. I have a lot more left to do to be prepared, but I am ecstatic that God has given me such a great opportunity to go and serve children in China. It was not the exact country I thought I would end up serving in, but I am blessed to get to go. God's timing is perfect. Please continue to pray for me as I begin getting everything set to go on this journey. Also pray for Robert as he will be juggling work and school for the boys while I am gone.

1 comment:

Jodi said...

VERY Exciting!! So happy for you!